This is What Made ME CRY the Most!

We drove past these homes by the canal everyday and everyday I wanted to stop and walk down to them. Oprah always says "Everyone has a story" and I wanted to talk and visit with them and hear their stories.


I was with David H. the first time we drove past these homes. The sight of them choked us both up. He could hardly talk and had tears in his eyes. I cried thinking how selfish I am to have a nice home but am always longing for one bigger and better. Here these people lived in what could be mistaken for a child's club house.


On our last day in Mexico me, my girl friend, and my children stopped by these shacks next to the canal to pass out toys and blankets. My only regret was that I didn't have more blankets and I didn't speak Spanish and therefore was unable to hear their stories!


I gave these old toothless men blankets, which made my girl friend mad. She knew we didn't have a lot of blankets and she wanted me to pass them out to the women and/or children. Oh well! I am sure these men were still happy to get a blanket from us.


I was amazed when I seen all this garbage. In fact, garbage could be seen everywhere. My sister said they do not have a garbage system like we do in America and these people cannot afford to pay someone to pick it up. This garbage might be useful to another, so maybe it's a good thing it isn't all hauled away!


My children enjoyed passing out toys. We had more girl toys but had more boys than girls coming up to us. My daughter looked at me and said "Mexico has a lot of boys in it!"


It didn't take long before children were running towards us with out stretched arms.


It was as if we were Santa's elves bringing Christmas cheer to these children. They would get their gift and look up and smile at us.


This little girl ran right past my children and was headed straight for the truck.


My daughter had to run back to give this cute girl a doll.


I will never forget these shacks by the canal in Agua Prieta, Mexico.


Nor will I ever forget these children who are God's children too and deserve a better life.


I am so happy I was born an American. My mom always says we were born in America and have a good life and must give back to those who are less fortunate. I know I must give back and help these people!


I am so happy I made the decision to go to Mexico. Had it not been for my sister Teresa and her family I would have never thought to do this. What a great example they are to me and others!


Christmas 2010 will never be forgotten and will always be an inspiration to give during this blessed time of year!

Comments

MrsWix said…
Beautiful thoughts. What an amazing situation. I am looking forward to hearing/seeing more.
Anonymous said…
You were always generous. One day you were taking LOTS of your cloths out of your closet to give to a friend that didn't have much. I'm saying NO....NO. JoAnn Poulsen...N.Utah Portrait Photographer
mbreck said…
That was beautiful. I loved the post. Thank you for doing it so I could live vicariously through you. YOu are such a wonderful example.
scatternumbers said…
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and photos. I look forward to your future blogs about your experiences in Mexico.
Vonney said…
Hey mathmom I do not know who you are...but I am glad you enjoy the blog post. I will be posting about Mexico all month. Be sure to let me know what you think!

Brooke you would love going to Mexico...maybe one day you can!

Mom I remember giving some of my clothes to the Drake girls...they had less than I and were always teased at school.

Ann...I am so glad you liked the blog post. Let me know if you read the others...and what you think!
Kim said…
Yvonne
Not sure if you remember me, but we were scrapbook friends back in the day....I have loved reading your posts and would love more information about doing a service trip like this. Your pictures and words are amazing. Thanks for sharing!
Kristin Coppee said…
My gosh, I cannot imagine living like that. Sometimes Bertrand and I complain about how little our house is and how we're all crammed in here and my oldest and baby boy share a tiny room. There are challenges, but we have a LOT of comforts too. The other night I had to step outside to my laundry room. It's in a separate building off the main house (It's just how these 70's style houses were made back then) and it was freezing cold outside and late at night. I remember running out there quick, switching the laundry and running back in, freezing and shaking. As I shut the door, I remember the first thought I had was, "I'm so thankful I have a nice warm home to protect me from the cold." Another morning I was up making breakfast for the kids and I started to think, "What if we were suddenly homeless. I'd be wishing I could be back in this home. I need to quit complaining." I'm so grateful for experiences that help me realize how blessed I truly am. I seem to forget sometimes.
scatternumbers said…
I am Marissa's mom. She didn't take many pictures, so we are leaning on you to see her experiences. :) Thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

My 1st Half Marathon of 2013!

June Workshop - Love U Dad!

Fun in Florida at Walt Disney World!