
It was Saturday, October 17 and my son had just played two football games. We were going to go to Lagoon later that night, but my son was exhausted and fell asleep. Later when he woke up he said he didn't feel good, and he finally sounded sick. I too started to feel sick. The symptoms we were displaying made me believe we both had the flu, but in the back of my mind I feared we had H1N1. I crossed my fingers hoping it was just the normal flu.

I called Wee Care Pediatrics right away to see if we could both get on TamiFlu but they told me that TamiFlu was for high risk children under the age of two and not to worry. They also said it was better to just ride out the flu anyway.

My son kept getting high fevers, which scared me. I made him take a cool bath and I gave him medication. His temperature would come down for awhile, but soon after was high again.

On Monday, October 19 my daughter started coughing. I sent her to school anyhow hoping if I kept her away from my son and I, she would not get whatever we had. On Tuesday, October 20 I sent her to school again, but later got a call that she had a temperature of 104 degrees.


On Wednesday, October 21 I had enough of the coughing so I took all three of us to my doctor at Tanner Clinic. I have no idea how we got to the doctor's office, because I was so dizzy and my head felt like it was going to explode. My doctor tested us for H1N1 and we all tested positive.

Having swine flu was the worst thing I have ever experienced. I have never been so sick, nor have I ever seen my son so sick. My daughter seemed to only have a mild case and I was so grateful.

On Saturday, October 24, my son's football team played and won their last game of the season. They won all 10 games this season and were undefeated. I took my son to the game and we sat in the corner away from everyone else. I knew my son was wishing he was out on the field playing with all of the other boys and it killed me too. He was a starting player and I could see his team needed him out there. My son rotated between playing a tight end, fullback, offensive corner, & outside linebacker and was one heck of a tackler. As we watched the game his replacements struggled! I almost thought they would lose the game because of it. Someone even shouted: "We need Poulsen out there, and that made me so proud of my son!"

On Wednesday, October 28, I sent my children back to school. I had missed enough work and really needed to get back (even though I was still sick). My son still kept getting headaches and fevers even after he went back to school.

My visiting teacher brought us a loaf of warm bread and we were very happy to get it. It was so hard for me to try and get my daughter feed because I was so sick (and couldn't get out of bed). Most of the time my daughter would eat whatever she could find, which was often not healthy (like chips). It was too bad I didn't get any meals made and/or delivered for my daughter.

On Saturday, October 31, I went back to the doctor to find out why I was still sick. I had lost my voice earlier in the week and it wasn't getting any better. The doctor said it was just swine flu aftermath and I needed to rest. It wasn't until November 14 when I finally felt better.

During all of this madness and mayhem, Lily was healing from her surgery (spayed).
Comments