Mojakka (MOY-ah-kah) - Finnish Stew

My best friend's mother (Annette) is Finnish and she always makes this Finnish Stew called Mojakka (MOY-ah-kah).

I used to make it a lot (before I had children). When I received two heads of cabbage in my basket (from Bountiful Baskets) the first thing I thought was...I have got to make some Mojakka.

I was hoping my children would enjoy the Finnish stew. My daughter helped cut the onions, but she would not try one bite of the stew. My son only ate the beef and said he had never heard of stew with lettuce in it. As usual I loved it.

Mojakka (MOY-ah-kah) - Finnish Stew

Boil the following (in a LARGE pot filled half full of water):
1-2 pounds Beef (pre-cut stewing meat) cut into dice-size cubes
1 medium onion, chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
Celery salt, to taste
Garlic salt, to taste

Season salt, to taste

Add and continue cooking over medium-low heat (covered):
5 carrots, coarsely chopped
2 rutabagas (yellow), peeled and diced
2 turnips, peeled and diced
1-2 parsnips, peeled and diced
4-6 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
1 head of cabbage, shredded

The stew is done when all vegetables are soft. Serve with Sheepherders Bread and enjoy!

NOTE: Do NOT cook in a crock pot. It will not turn out the same and you need a larger pot anyhow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 1st Half Marathon of 2013!

June Workshop - Love U Dad!

Fun in Florida at Walt Disney World!