Gathering Food Storage!

I have been a Mormon - Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS) all my life. Growing up LDS we were always told by the Prophets about the importance of gathering a two-year supply of food. Having a sort-of-weak testimony, I have never listened to the Prophets and never gathered a two-year supply of food. I have always had a three months supply of canned food in my home, which has always worked for me. Of course I have never lived through a disaster or loss of a job to see the importance of a two-year supply of food.

The importance of a two-year supply of food didn't hit me until this past Thanksgiving when I seen my oldest sister and her husband starting to really prepare. Then came January this year when my bishop started stressing the importance of preparing for an emergency and building a 1 year (as a minimum) supply of food. I listened and started gathering, but today when my bishop stressed it some more, I walked away feeling I need to gather some food and supplies more quickly.

My bishop said if a disaster were to happen the church would not have enough food and/or supplies to help everyone. He said it is our responsibility to take care of our families and our neighbors. I was then handed a list broken down by months showing each week of each month recommending what kind of food and or supplies I should focus on buying. The plan is after 1 year to have a good supply of the things needed in case of an emergency for my children and I (and a neighbor or two).

Here is the list for April:
week 1 - wheat, oats, grains
week 2 - gauze, patches, swabs, cotton balls, tape
week 3 - pasta
week 4 - plastic bags, foil, freezer bags, wax paper
week 5 - gelatin, pudding mixes

I will post the list each month in case anyone reading my blog wants to do the same! Good luck shopping.

Comments

Lois Lane said…
I have a 2-year supply of scrapbook stuff. Is that good enough?
Anonymous said…
OMG...Lois Lane I am right there with you. But thanks Mom of 2. I think I am going to start buying slowly...and try to get a stock up of supplies. I live in an area where it could be necessary.
Vonney said…
If you have a 2-year supply of scrapbook stuff, it means you can start gathering your 2-year supply of food/supplies. Not unless you like the taste of paper!

Popular posts from this blog

My 1st Half Marathon of 2013!

June Workshop - Love U Dad!

Fun in Florida at Walt Disney World!